Sunday, May 17, 2015

Internet in Oman for those without resident visa

Initially when I first arrived Muscat, I was given an Omantel prepaid simcard to use for my Internet use in a small Samsung modem device. However after realising that it only contains 2GB and costs OMR5 every time to ensure that I don't go over the limit, I realised, it's super not worth it. Especially since I Skype with Daniel everyday for almost 2 hours.

Then my boss upgraded my simcard and made it into a postpaid plan, where it would have 10GB per month and charged monthly straight to his card (OMR24). Although that was better than the previous plan I had, it still wasn't enough for me. Per skype session of an hour usually takes about 2GB, so 10GB would only give me about less than 5 days usage for me.

Since I yet have the resident card for Muscat, I do not have the option of installing broadband into my apartment or subscribe to any contract. I then decided to check out Ooredoo at the airport and ask what my options are. 

I was then told that there was an option for me called Mousbak where I need to pay OMR20 for the device and I chose the highest GB volume of 150GB for OMR33 a month. 


They checked if there is coverage in my area then took a copy of my passport and said that there is no contract to it. It was the best decision I've ever had. 

Although the connection is not as stable and fast as the Omantel I've been using, I no longer had to worry about the GB that I'm using for the month. 150GB gives me more than enough to chat with Daniel over skype and I was also able to download or stream movies whenever I want.

Now I only use the Omantel postpaid Internet for my mobile use (since it's already paid for, and saves me money from topping up to use Internet on my phone) and when I'm at home, I use the ooredoo Internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment